Trouble with "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Hello,

I have a Woody 2.2.20-idepci system running on a Dell
that I am trying to upgrade to 2.4.x (Sarge, or
testing) with mixed results.

At first I felt that I should download source and
recompile the kernels, and I did that, but those
kernels did not match any Debian patched headers,
which I need.  Those kernels run OK but I'm not able
to compile and add the modules that I need/like.

The advice I got here was to use this procedure:

  "Change Woody to Sarge in sources.list"

I assumed this meant change "stable" to "testing"
which is what I did.

  "apt-get update"  This when fine.

  "apt-get dist-upgrade"  This did not connect...

It immediately went through my dependency tree and
gave me a list of packages to "apt-get -f install".  I
thought the power of "apt-get" was that it figured out
what packages you needed and got them automatically?

I started at the top of the list and tried to get them
one by one but right off the bat I must have picked
the wrong one because it told me that I had yet other
packages or some of the other ones to get.  I don't
know what order to get them in and reading the docs I
am led to believe that I am not *supposed* to have to
do all this by hand.

What am I missing or doing wrong with "apt-get"?  Or
am I just expecting too much of it?

Thanks,

ejd