Re: Trouble with "apt-get dist-upgrade"

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:09:04 -0700 (PDT), Eric Dickner
<ejdickner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Woody 2.2.20-idepci system running on a Dell
> that I am trying to upgrade to 2.4.x (Sarge, or
> testing) with mixed results.
[...]
> It immediately went through my dependency tree and
> gave me a list of packages to "apt-get -f install".  I
> thought the power of "apt-get" was that it figured out
> what packages you needed and got them automatically?

Did you try "apt-get -f install" with no further arguments?  This
should attempt to fix your current installation, sparing you the
tedium of typing in all of the packages.  I recall having to do this
once or twice, one of which might have been as part of my switch from
"stable" to "unstable".

If that succeeds, try "apt-get dist-upgrade" again.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh