Re: gnumeric or oocalc

I don't think gnumeric is cross-platform (easily cross platformed, maybe with cygwin)
whereas Openoffice is (click and install).  I use Excel everyday and in combination
with VBA and other programs like SPSS and powerpoint.

I have to admit that I haven't played much with OO macros and not at all with
gnumeric.  At a glance, under tools, OOCalc has a macro language and gnumeric
does not appear to have one.

Both will allow simple import/export to Excel.  Some formatting will change
when importing from Excel to OOCalc.  Could be wrong but I don't imagine
you would want to import/export macros.  Macros would  probably lose their
functionality.

OOCalc is part of an office suite so I imagine (maybe incorrectly) that the
macro language will allow write/spreadsheet/presentation cross manipulation
--i.e. cut and paste macro from Calc to Writer..., pasting spreadsheet from
oocalc to presentation ...   without using a third party language like
perl/python.

Granted, as a statistician, my needs are far above those of most "normal"
users and my guess is that for most users either gnumeric or oocalc will
work nicely.

I think you have given me a reason to spend more time learning a bit about
scripting capabilities of these two packages :-)

Lance

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

  It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible
                        nonconformist warmly acclaimed.
                                       -
                                Albert Einstein