Re: Borked e-mail threading [Was Re: HylaFax receives rubbish]

S.D.A. wrote:

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:01:00PM -0700 or thereabouts, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

Not according to Sylpheed. Both times he started new threads

That's one of the reasons why I dropped Sylpheed early on!

If one has an e-mail client that does real threading, which uses the message-id,
then those messages would have appeared in thread(s), totally unrelated to what
those threads were discussing. This is what happened here.

Since most of the expert help on deb-user, is available from those using e-mail
clients like mutt, then it behooves one to know about responding properly. One
should create a new message, not hit reply and subsitute a new subject (that
keeps the original message-id in the headers).

The reason why they appeared differently for you, is that Sylpheed most likely
only sorts by subject/date, (aka psuedo threading).

This is an excellent example of what happens when some twit uses "reply" when "compose" is appropriate. I use an email client that threads properly, this is going to be rolled up under "Can't post to...." where I won't see it any more.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait