Re: can't post to "linux.debian.user" "solved"

Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> said on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:53:16 -0400:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 08:01, Roel Schroeven wrote:
> > Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > > Fortunatly, linux.* *IS* a bidirectional gateway, unless your news
> > > server is misconfigured.
>
> > Are you sure? This is the first time I've seen anyone saying it is=20
> > bidirectional. I've seen many people say that it is unidirectional, and=20
> > experimential evidence tends to confirm that.
>
> After all the shenanigans of the past week, I've convinced the usenet
> mirror (is that an accurate term here?) on Verizon is unidirectional.
> Nothing I've posted there has made the list proper, nor the web
> archives.

I'm thinking there are two linux.* (linux.kernel, linux.debian.user
and linux.debian.laptop, etc) heirarchies. With my newserver, there is
the free unidirectional bofh.it gateway that is propogated everywhere
(which writes message-ids and references in the form
"2vj26-8md-1@gated-at.bofh.it"), but there is also the gmane gateway
some people use (and you seem to have to point your newsever at their
gateway, instead of your own newserver, meaning you can't use it
behind a university firewall, and you can't use it with software that
only can use one newserver) which *is* bidirectional. Maybe gmane put
the mailing lists in linux.* as well, which mislead Marco into
believing I was talking about gmane?

Sorry if there are errors in transmission - I'm sending this message
down the gigabit ethernet fiber with a laser pointer.