Re: nvidia drivers

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:23:45 -0400, Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:
> Gregory Seidman wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:13:22AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> > } OK, I tried to install the nvidia kernel headers and such with a stock
> > } debian kernel.  I didn't see any errors through any of the steps,
> > } however I keep getting failure when I now start X.  IIRC the packages
> > } where nvidia-kernel and variou headers and such.  The list of the
> > } specific packages isn't available right now since I've shut things down...
> > }
> > } GLcore not loaded.
> > }
> > } Not sure much about this.  It's always been selected and loaded since I
> > } first installed debian on a machine.
> > }
> > } lsmod shows nvidia_agp is loaded.  'nv' is not, but IIRC it's a dummy
> > } module for the regular linux kernel.
> > }
> > } kernel: 2.6.7-1-k7 installed on an Athlon XP 3200+
> > }
> > } Any suggestions?  my X windows is toast.  I'm working off a back-up
> > } machine right now...
> >
> > Did you also install nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-glx?
> >
> > --Greg
> >

> Well, one thing I noticed is that the nvidia-kernel packages are all
> build for the 2.4 kernel and I'm really wanting to use the 2.6 kernel.
>
> If I were to just use the NVidia drivers from their website, what do I
> need?  Kernel-Headers only?

If you were to just use the NVidia drivers from their website, stuff
will break when you upgrade X related stuff. The best way is to use
the nvidia-kernel-source package to create a .deb. Off course if this
fails that is a problem but we can't really help you if you don't at
least post some more info. I seem to recall you had to edit your X
config a bit (uncomment some module, add some other). You might wanna
get the readme from nvidia's website and look through it.

greets,
Wim