nvidia drivers

OK, I tried to install the nvidia kernel headers and such with a stock debian kernel. I didn't see any errors through any of the steps, however I keep getting failure when I now start X. IIRC the packages where nvidia-kernel and variou headers and such. The list of the specific packages isn't available right now since I've shut things down...

GLcore not loaded.

Not sure much about this. It's always been selected and loaded since I first installed debian on a machine.

lsmod shows nvidia_agp is loaded. 'nv' is not, but IIRC it's a dummy module for the regular linux kernel.

kernel: 2.6.7-1-k7 installed on an Athlon XP 3200+

Any suggestions? my X windows is toast. I'm working off a back-up machine right now...