Re: security updates

On 08/18/04 13:00, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

so, what's the Right Way of getting the security patches to these
packages, besides apt-get upgrading?  is there one?  [1] seems to
imply that the right way is the way i can't do ...

thanks very much,

</nori>

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html#s-security-update

Nori,

I've been reluctant to apt-get upgrade for the same reasons; not wanting to deal with the fallout of 500 new versions! Also I see there are problems in some new packages that work fine for me now, like firefox and thunderbird/enigmail. I am aware of the security limitations in current versions and try to act accordingly.

In fact, I've never done the apt-get upgrade. Since installing Debian in November, I've carefully upgraded packages I wanted and all the relevant security updates by apt-get install <packages> and being careful to check for appropriate dependencies and update those too. Yes, I may have missed some. I plan to "upgrade" to sarge for the lagging packages after it's released as Stable.

You can always see the latest security alerts right on www.debian.org or subscribe to debian-security-announce without having to wait for the weekly news.

Regards.