Re: security updates

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 11:49, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
[...]
> right, but i can't do that.  the rest of my message went on to say
> that when i try to apt-get upgrade (i've already apt-gotten updated),
> because i haven't done it in so long, apt tries to upgrade 500+
> packagest for me, which i don't have the space on /var to do.
>
> your solution is great, but i can't apply it until i figure out how to
> get apt to do only part of those 500+ at a time, to the point where my
> system is up to date.  until then, though, how do i apply a security
> patch?
>
> sorry if that wasn't clear.

Well, what I have always done when I run into problems like that is to
do this:

	apt-get update
	apt-get -u upgrade
	do not agree
	"apt-get install" a few lines of packages from the previous -u
		upgrade line, allowing you to accept the additional D/Ls
		(if any) beside the one you declared.

Painful... yes. Doable, yes but reliable. And then "apt-get clean" after
every install command.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is