Re: mouse not working under X, while ok in gpm

Continue on with my last post... No, as I doubt, it does not work.

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:03:40 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Assuming you have a PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel, I'd suggest "imps2"
> for the type in gpm.conf, and "ImPS/2" for the protocol in XF86Config-4.

ps/2 has been working fine for both X and now gpm. I've set them
explicitly in both conf files before, with repeat_type being ms3 -- no
work.

> If that doesn't work, I'd also change the repeat_type in gpm.conf to
> "raw".

ps/2 for both X and gpm, and repeat_type is "raw" -- no, still NOK.

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  [...]
#
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=ps2
append=""
sample_rate=

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
#	Option		"Protocol"		"auto"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
#	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Further testings,

As per a tip from the web, I'm sure the /dev/psaux is the device that
mouse uses. I 'cat /dev/psaux', then waive my mouse, I can see garbage on
my console (but not in X).

NB, 'cat /dev/gpmdata', then waive my mouse gave my nothing though.

Again, I'm not interested in solving the gpm/X conflicts, I just want to
get my X back to work again ASAP -- it has been over 4 days now...
anyone has other brute-force solutions other than reinstalling Debian?
What debian packages *might be* related with this problem? I'll force
reinstall every one of them...

thanks