Re: udev, atapi cdrw drives and cdrecord

Otto Wyss(otto.wyss@orpatec.ch) is reported to have said:
> > I am trying to use cdrecord to make a cd.  But it seemingly hangs (forever).
> > It outputs the information below and then suspends (and ctrl C does not kill
> > it).
> >
> Use
>
> cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATAPI
>
> and then burn it with the gotten numbers
>
> cdrecord dev=ATAPI:x,x,x

I had a problem using "dev=ATAPI:x,x,x" when I first switched to the
2.6.x kernel and dropping ide-scsi.  I finally settled on
dev=/dev/hdc.  So I just tried the above to see if something had
changed, since I am now running kernel 2.6.7.

cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATAPI  returns
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
  scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,1,0     1) 'CD-ROM  ' 'Drive/F5E       ' '0.27' Removable CD-ROM
#----------

While cdrecord --scanbus dev=/dev/hdc  returns
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
#-----------

I then tried to format a cd with
cdrecord speed=10 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 blank=full  and it failed and said try
blank= all. I did, and it also failed.  So I then tried

cdrecord speed=10 dev=/dev/hdc blank=all and blank=full and blank=fast
and they all worked.

I offer this up as an alternative that 'works for me', not as cure-all.
I haven't the faintest idea why it works, it just does.

wt

--
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go find out
what they want."