mouse not working under X, while ok in gpm

Thanks, Kent, this is by far the most comprehensive respond I ever
received! Actually, you won't need to explain this much, If you have read
my OP. :-)

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:35:27 -0500, Kent West wrote:

>>From the googling result, it seems that the problem
>>only occurs in Debian.
>
>>Removing gpm with purge, and
>>force reinstalling X
>>won't help. Is there *any* way that I can get out of
>>this nightmare? Is reinstall Debian the only solution?
>>
> Reinstall?!! Absolutely not necessary.
>
> Step one - Get out of X.
> [...]

FYI, I don't have ?dm at all, I always use startx.

> Step two - configure gpm.
> [...]

As stated in my OP, my console mouse works fine.

> Step three - Configure X to read from /dev/gpmdata.
> [...]

So I googled/read/did. But as I said, it didn't work -- in fact after
startx, my console mouse is destroyed (there is an extremely long delay
when starting X).

I installed gpm while in X, I think my X is now permanently damaged.