Re: urgent help

Tong Sun wrote:

Thanks Kent for the reply.
From the googling result, it seems that the problem
only occurs in Debian.
I've been using RH for many years (with both console
and X mouse one) and it never caused me any trouble.
Probably because Redhat preconfigures your system according to Joe Average's needs, whereas Debian lets the
system administrator (you) be in charge of configuring your system.

I'm now trapped. I install gpm when the X is on. I
think the X is permanently damaged.

Nah.

Removing gpm with purge, and
force reinstalling X
won't help. Is there *any* way that I can get out of
this nightmare? Is reinstall Debian the only solution?

Reinstall?!! Absolutely not necessary.

Step one - Get out of X.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F2, which will take you to the second virtual terminal (VT2). Log in as root (or better, a normal user that can sudo tasks). Run "/etc/init.d/kdm stop" (assuming you're running KDM as your login manager - other usual possibilities are xdm, gdm, and wdm); if you're not running a login manager and are instead starting X with "startx", then Alt-F7 to get back into X and log out of X in the normal manner.

Step two - configure gpm.
"apt-get install gpm" if necessary. At the end of the install, "gpmconfig" will be run.
If gpm is already installed, manually run "gpmconfig".
Configure the mouse to repeat the data as "ms" or "raw" (you'll need to experiment to see which works). After finishing "gpmconfig", you should be able to move mouse and see the mouse pointer (white block) move around on the screen, and you should be able to highlight and paste text, etc. If your mouse does not work at this point, go back to Step two. Repeat as needed.

Step three - Configure X to read from /dev/gpmdata.
Either manually edit the mouse section of "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" to read from /dev/gpmdata, and set the mouse type to the appropriate type (usually "IMPS/2" or "Intellimouse"), or do these things by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86". As mentioned in a previous post, if the "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" file has ever been edited manually, the "dpkg-reconfigure" method will fail, without notice, to modify the file, in which case you'll either need to edit the file manually or fix the dpkg-reconfigure link.

Step four - Restart X.
Restart X with either "startx" or "/etc/init.d/[gxkw]dm".

Step five - Enjoy X.

--
Kent