Re: urgent help

Ok, trying again, posting from yahaoo directly...

Subject:     Re: urgent help
Newsgroups:  gmane.linux.debian.user
Date:        Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:17:17 -0400

Why, oh, why, the following message didn't get through
the mlist yet
again. I first thought it might because of subject
wording, now perhaps
the wording of message body?

Anyone else here is posting via the gmane service?

Newsgroups:  gmane.linux.debian.user
Date:        Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:16:38 -0400

1st of all, sorry for the vague subject. I was using a
good subject for
at least 5 times, but 5 times it didn't show up in the
mlist.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:25:12 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Tong Sun wrote:
>
>>I installed gpm -- the console mouse support. After
>>rebooting, my mouse doesn't work in X any more (I
didn't change anything
>>in my XF86config-4 file. )
>>
>>Currently, my mouse setting is the same in gpm and
X,
>>i.e., device is /dev/psaux, and protocol is ps/2.
However, console
>>mouse works fine whereas X mouse doesn't work. and
there is an extended
>>delay starting and switching to X.
>>
>>In order to fix the problem. I've
stopped/uninstalled
>>gpm before starting X, and even force reinstall
xfree86-common
>>and xfree86-server packages. But nothing helped.
I've exhausted my
>>options.
>>
>>I've been googling around in a none-mouse X, and
found
>>that there *might* be conflicts between gpm and X
mouse.

>>I've seen posting saying using /dev/gpmdata as
device
>>for mouse to work under console and X together. But
it doesn't apply to
>>me. I made the similar change and it didn't work. In
fact, right
>>after I start X, my gpm mouse is destroyed -- no
work any more under console.

> In order to have both mouse drivers work together,
they need to either
> be configured to pull data from "/dev/input/mice"
(which may not work
> with non-USB mice; I'm not sure), or configure gpm
to repeat the data
> ("ms" is the "correct" type, but I've seen where it
doesn't work and
> "raw" does), and configure X to read from
/dev/gpmdata.

Thanks Kent for the reply.

>From the googling result, it seems that the problem
only occurs in Debian.
I've been using RH for many years (with both console
and X mouse one) and
it never caused me any trouble.

I'm now trapped. I install gpm when the X is on. I
think the X is
permanently damaged. Removing gpm with purge, and
force reinstalling X
won't help. Is there *any* way that I can get out of
this nightmare? Is
reinstall Debian the only solution? Oh, I'm so
desperate.

In RH, at least I can force remove Xfree without
removing all the X apps
that depend on X. How can I do this with Debian?