Re: mouse not working under X, while ok in gpm

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:03:40 -0500, Kent West wrote:

>>Please note that there may not be any reasonable explanation for the
>>freezing mouse under X, based on the fact that
>>
>>1. startx destroy gpm mouse
>>2. uninstall gpm with purge while XF86Config-4 kept as original won't work
>>either -- X is now permanently damaged.
>>
>>I'm thinking my case is far from a simple quick fix. If you can't figure
>>out a  reasonable explanation, please at least tell me how to get out of
>>this.
>>
> Oh-h-h-h. What you mean by "permanently damaged" is that your mouse
> doesn't work even when gpm has been purged. That means that the
> InputDevice section of XF86Config-4 needs to be changed; the exact
> change will depend on your mouse.

The mouse has been working fine until one power failure. My box had been
continuously up for about 1 months before that. I have never changed the
input device part of XF86Config-4. If gpm is not the one, then
power-failure and some weird error of my FS might be.

Is there any way to verify the integration of packages in Debian? Like rpm
--verify in RH?

> BTW, did you try the Shift-NumLock method of mousing around; did it work
> for you?

I'm using fluxbox as my window manager. I read this keyboard mouse is
provided by X, not WM, but somehow I can't get it works under fluxbox.

> Is this mouse a PS/2 with scroll wheel (ie, not serial, and not USB)? Is
> it perhaps a "broken" ps/2 mouse, in which case you might want to try
> the type "fups2".

It is a simple 3-key ps/2 mouse. no wheel, not serial, and not USB. It has
always been working fine, both in RH and Debian, just until recently.

I'll go ahead to try those settings you've made, but I doubt that it will
make any difference, because gpm works fine and X destroy it (the console
mouse) right away...