Re: recommendation for digital camera -=> Shameless Nikon plug

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:33:31AM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:

> > Just out of curiosity, what does that SW offer?
>
> Well, there are several packages, one of which is always bundled
> with the camera and the others for sale separately.  The Nikon website
> is a
> better source of info than I am, actually.  But the direct camera
> support package provides USB detection, automatic downloading, a bunch
> of cosmetic viewer features...  The buy-up packages provide image
> correction and editing, I think.  (I haven't loaded it yet...).  Some of
> those things are built into Windoze XP, I think (I'm not, and never
> will be, upgraded beyond Win 98), so the Nikon software for older
> versions of Windoze provides whatever the older versions don't have...
>
> The real benefit to having the Windoze apps (Nikon or not) to support
> the camera is in being able to load camera (or film scanner) images
> directly into something like Photoshop without having to go through
> any JPEG or other compression, so that you can manipulate raw
> images.  (Again, I'm picking nits because I usually don't *do* this
> - but that's where hooking the camera up to Linux might start producing
> limitations if you don't have whatever Nikon or other software provides
> the capability...)  I think the Nikon load you get with the camera
> (or scanner) provides the "hooks" (drivers or driver linkage?)
> for some of the other commercial apps like Photoshop to get at the
> camera or scanner directly...  not sure though.

I played around with the coolpix 4500 we have in our lab in uni. It
works both as a usb-storage device and ptp which gives some more
capabilities (you need to chose the active method in the camera's
menus).

As a usb storage device the camera works like a disk-on-key
device. hotplug loads the modules for me (usb-storage and scsi support)
and autofs mounts the device. I don't remember what formating the camera
uses but you can mount it using one of

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

That is assuming that it will be the first scsi disk (if you don't have
another disk on key connected or similar).

It is then accessible as a regular disk..

For ptp you need gphoto (www.gphoto.org) and possible some gui above it.

If you work with jpeg then you have no problem from that point, just
open it in gimp. Nikon's raw format is called nef. Have a look at:
http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
There is a program to decode nef and a plugin for gimp to open the
files directly without conversion.

Note that all this should also be true for canon (the raw decoding
program included).