Re: recommendation for digital camera -=> Shameless Nikon plug

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:34:10AM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:
> > In that case I would also suggest you avoid anything Sony. I've never
> > seen worse customer support (and that even for very high end equipment
> > company customers, not just the small end user), and when they do
> > bother making a proper piece of hardware they seriously cripple it with
> > their copyright paranoia (see NetMD for example).
>
> Yipes...  I've bought some of their consumer electronics and had good
> luck with it (including service), but never anything support-intensive
> (i.e. programmable in any way).  I can easily believe they could have
> gone bad when they got into anything with intelligence in it...
>
> I just don't buy anything that has copy protection or blocked channels
> or anything of the sort, without making sure whatever is
> blocked/banned/etc.
> can be defeated somehow.  It's a matter of principle; as soon as a
> government
> or industry decides to ban something, I run out and buy lots of whatever
> it is immediately whether I want it or not.
>
> > I am looking at linux support for coolpix 4500, and it seems to exist
> > (haven't had a chance to test yet, its not mine). Nikon seems to
> > support both mass storage and ptp on their cameras.
>
> They do on some of their cameras, at least, according to the website
> you mention below (interesting site, btw...).

Played with it a bit yesterday. It apparently supports both (method
needs to be chosen in the menu).

> > For some more information have a look
> > http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

Found also this one lately which gives access to all kinds of raw
formats including a gimp plugin:

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

> > Canon may be a bit more troublesome, then nikon. You should look for a
> > camera with both usb-storage support (easiest way to download pictures)
> > and ptp support which will give you access to some more advanced camera
> > features. I am not sure if it will allow you to access all the features
> > of the camera from linux (some of the high end cameras are customizable
> > and may require dedicated software).
>
> *That* is the thing I'm concerned about, when thinking about going to
> direct
> Linux support, vs. using Linux with VMware to get at the Gatesware to
> get at
> the Nikonware.  But I haven't dug into the camera features enough to
> know
> what features are available that might be impacted, yet...

Depending on what they have done, it looks like gphoto and ptp may be
your friend.