Re: recommendation for digital camera -=> Shameless Nikon plug

> I am using Nikon 4300 with linux and I am able to access it as mass
> storage without any problem. I just have to mount the camera as usb mass
> storage and copy the image files to my hdd. If any body is interested in
> having more info, kindly let me know.

Yeah, Me!

I have a 5700 and will eventually be using it with Linux.  But I sort
of figured I would end up running the Nikon package under Windows via
VMware under Linux.  Getting Windows out of the picture completely is
a good idea.  What you're doing wouldn't get me any of the features of
the Nikon software, though (not that I'm *using* any of them yet, mind
you, but...) - for that, I'd need the Nikon software to run directly
under Linux?.

I'm sure my 5700 will hook up the same way as the 4300...  maybe you
could post the mount command you're using.  Did you have to load
anything
special as far as USB drivers goes, in order to support the camera?
Any information I get, I will capture in a file for Future Use...

> > Doesn't this model and many others by Nikon suffer from low light
> > focusing problems? They lack a low-light focusing lamp, Canan doesn't.
>
> That is a problem which is very annoying in low light.

I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed the autofocus going nuts when
I get up close to a tree with light shining through the leaves; it
can't decide what to focus on.  I've been forced to turn on the manual
focus under such circumsatances.  Also, it goes wacky when it tries to
resolve something against a plain white background, and I've been forced
to troll all the way to the bottom of the white correction menus to try
to rearrange its attitude.  But I'm always getting into performance
corners with everything and then demanding too much, and Nikon
support will probably fix my problem anyway when I get around to
bugging them about it...

What are you taking pictures of in really low light, anyway??????