Re: recommendation for digital camera

On 2004-07-17, Wayne Topa penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama(spam@bounceswoosh.org) is reported to have said:
>> On 2004-07-07, Chris Metzler penned:
>> >
>> > I don't own a digital camera, unfortunately; so take any advice I
>> > may give with a block-o-salt.  But I've seen several people here
>> > who *do* own digital cameras suggest the purchase of a USB memory
>> > card reader.  The idea is that regardless of whether a particular
>> > camera is or is not compatible with the OS, its memory plopped into
>> > a reader will be.  This enables you to forget the "compatible with
>> > Linux" restriction, and make your purchase choice entirely on
>> > whether a camera will take good pictures.
>>
>> Late, here, but ... my dad has a Kodak camera and whatever the format
>> was, we couldn't get it to read straight off the card on linux *or*
>> windows.  We even tried downloading their proprietary viewer app for
>> windows, but it kept misbehaving till we gave up.
>>
>> I would say, as long as the camera saves straight to JPG, a usb
>> memory card reader is the way to go.  I would further say that if the
>> camera doesn't save straight to JPG or some other readily-useable
>> format, I wouldn't buy it.
>
> I have a Kodak CX4230 digital camera.  I use have been using the
> EasyShare Doc to download and erase pictures from it for about 6
> months.

Er, I kind of mistyped.  What I meant to say was, the picture format was
weird.  We could view and copy the files on the card; we just couldn't
read them.

I believe that not all Kodak cameras use this weird image format, or at
least that they probably have the option not to, but we didn't
investigate while my dad was visiting.

--
monique