Re: recommendation for digital camera

Monique Y. Mudama(spam@bounceswoosh.org) is reported to have said:
> On 2004-07-07, Chris Metzler penned:
> >
> > I don't own a digital camera, unfortunately; so take any advice I may
> > give with a block-o-salt.  But I've seen several people here who *do*
> > own digital cameras suggest the purchase of a USB memory card reader.
> > The idea is that regardless of whether a particular camera is or is
> > not compatible with the OS, its memory plopped into a reader will be.
> > This enables you to forget the "compatible with Linux" restriction,
> > and make your purchase choice entirely on whether a camera will take
> > good pictures.
>
> Late, here, but ... my dad has a Kodak camera and whatever the format
> was, we couldn't get it to read straight off the card on linux *or*
> windows.  We even tried downloading their proprietary viewer app for
> windows, but it kept misbehaving till we gave up.
>
> I would say, as long as the camera saves straight to JPG, a usb memory
> card reader is the way to go.  I would further say that if the camera
> doesn't save straight to JPG or some other readily-useable format, I
> wouldn't buy it.

I have a Kodak CX4230 digital camera.  I use have been using the
EasyShare Doc to download and erase pictures from it for about 6 months.

There is a USB jack on the camera but I have yet to try that, but will
tomorrow.

I am using Digikam or gtkam, gphoto2, and hotplug to connect to the
camera in PTP mode.  Gphoto2 works with a 'large' list of cameras.
I also have a memory card but downloading from it in the camera.

I picked this up for abt $80 and the EasyShare dock for another $50.
Works like a champ.

Wayne
--
Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.