Re: extern IP

Joost De Cock wrote:

Quoting Jon <jonmd@optusnet.com.au>:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Joost De Cock wrote:
To find out it's address, just do a traceroute:
traceroute debian.org

First address is the dlink internal interface, second address is the one
you
want. (the public address)
When I do this I get:

jon@bowser:~$ traceroute debian.org
traceroute to debian.org (192.25.206.10), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1  * * *
2  * * *
3  * * *
4  * * *
5  * * *
6  * * *
7  * * *
8  * * *
<snip>

How come? Blocked somewhere? I can't see my firewall blocking anything; do
I need to forward something from the router? I would prefer to use this
method than my links -dump parsing.

Yes, looks like the icmp packets are dropped. Oh well, here's another way:

traceroute uses UDP. Looks like a tight firewall:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait