Re: extern IP

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Joost De Cock wrote:

> > > The problem is, I don't have access to the D-Link router/DHCP server so
> > > that i could run ifconfig on it. Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> To find out it's address, just do a traceroute:
> traceroute debian.org
>
> First address is the dlink internal interface, second address is the one you
> want. (the public address)

When I do this I get:

jon@bowser:~$ traceroute debian.org
traceroute to debian.org (192.25.206.10), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  * * *
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 <snip>

How come? Blocked somewhere? I can't see my firewall blocking anything; do
I need to forward something from the router? I would prefer to use this
method than my links -dump parsing.