Re: Name server choices?

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 04:20:08PM -0700, Scott Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:33:23PM -0500, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> [...]
> > BIND 9, unlike previous version, is actually quite stable and secure. I'd
> > recommend transitioning to that rather than to other DNS servers, because
> > (AFAIK) it is much more full-featured than any other OSS DNS server.
> [...]
>
> Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of the significant difference.
>
> I'll definitely look into bind9.

A couple years back, BIND went through a massive code rewrite similiar to
the rewrite for Sendmail. There's no BIND 8 code in BIND 9, and the code is
written in a much more secure manner. It also supports signed or encrypted
zone transfers, keyed access to the name servers, and a host of other
security features. I'm a running it on a some FreeBSD and NetBSD machines,
and I've had no problems with it.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/