Re: extern IP

Sorry, couldn't find parent post.

Quoting Jon <jonmd@optusnet.com.au>:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Borislav Petkov wrote:
>
> > we have a wlan at our dorm and we get all itnernal IPs DHCP-ed. Everything
> > works fine but I'd like to run an internal www and therefore need my
> external
> > IP.

Do you mean that you want to set up a webserver that is available to the people
in your dorm? To do that, just give the machine fixed IP, if possible outside
the scope of the DHCP server.
Let's say your DHCP's address is 192.168.0.17, then choosing something high,
such as 192.168.0.240 should be ok.

If you want your webserver to be accessible from the internet (assuming your
Dlink is connected to it), that's a different story. You'll need 2 things.
First of all, you'll need port forwarding on the Dlink router (so that requests
on port 80 are forwarded to your internal webserver. The Dlink probably supports
this.
Second, you'll need to find a way to reach your router from the internet, since
your provider will change your public address from time to time, you either need
to setup something line they provide on dyndns.org. Or, a much easyer option, if
your provider provides reverse dns for their hosts, just use the dns name that
happens to be yours.
To check, do a :
dig -x [ip address of the Dlink]

> > The problem is, I don't have access to the D-Link router/DHCP server so
> > that i could run ifconfig on it. Any ideas are appreciated.

To find out it's address, just do a traceroute:
traceroute debian.org

First address is the dlink internal interface, second address is the one you
want. (the public address)

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.