Re: extern IP

Quoting Jon <jonmd@optusnet.com.au>:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Joost De Cock wrote:
> > To find out it's address, just do a traceroute:
> > traceroute debian.org
> >
> > First address is the dlink internal interface, second address is the one
> you
> > want. (the public address)
>
> When I do this I get:
>
> jon@bowser:~$ traceroute debian.org
> traceroute to debian.org (192.25.206.10), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>  1  * * *
>  2  * * *
>  3  * * *
>  4  * * *
>  5  * * *
>  6  * * *
>  7  * * *
>  8  * * *
>  <snip>
>

> How come? Blocked somewhere? I can't see my firewall blocking anything; do
> I need to forward something from the router? I would prefer to use this
> method than my links -dump parsing.

Yes, looks like the icmp packets are dropped. Oh well, here's another way:

Point your browser to:
http://www.psy.kuleuven.ac.be/hipdoc/index.php?stats=1

It's a dutch page, but the last paragraph reads:

Over jou

Jij conneceteert vanaf het ip adres 213.224.90.106 op poort 62687. Je browser is
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040506 Firefox/0.8 en je
kijkt naar de pagina /hipdoc/index.php. Daarenboven heb je een gezonde interesse
voor statistiek.

That reads:

About you

You're connecting from the ip address 213.224.90.106 on port 62687 .....

When you connect, the ip address will be different (duh..) so that's the externa
l address of the Dlink router (assuming it's connected to the internet, and not
to some other machine that does NAT).

Once you have that address, that's the address you should connect to (from the
internet) after you've set up the port forwarding.

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.