problems using JACK

First, is it right that you pretty much have to run jack (and therefore all
audio apps) as root? I can't get it started as any other user - it starts but
the clients can't find it.

Second, is there anyway to get Arts to use Jack? (and then, any way to get ESD
to use it?)

Call me radical, but I thought it would be really good if all my apps which
make sounds could...well, make sounds, without interfering with/blocking
eachother. I like jack because I play with hydrogen and audacity and so I
appreciate the low latency.

There doesn't seem to be much on the net about jack, perhaps it's too young
yet?

thanks,

rich