Re: problems using JACK

Thanks for responses. I had seen the Jack page, which as you say, was easy to
find. But I'd been having problems with clients connecting to it when not run
as root, rather than difficulties with realtime. Bizarely these seem to have
vanished and it now works...for the mo!

related question, ALSA : can 2+ apps play through it at once? I understand the
answer is no, that's what you need jack/arts/esd for, but then some comments
seemed to hint otherwise. It certainly doesn't seem to work that way.

also, please excuse me mentioning audacity: I've NOT got it working with jack,
I was listing it simply to get across the type of app I wanted to run. I'm
not new to linux but new to sound on linux, and am used to the joys of cool
edit pro and fruityloops. audacity was all I found that worked when I was
previously using mdk9. I'm now on debian, so will probably revisit the others
(ardour etc).

Again, thanks for the comments, they've all helped me understand stuff a bit
more!

rich