Re: problems using JACK

On July 16, 2004 10:33, rich lott wrote:
> First, is it right that you pretty much have to run jack (and therefore all
> audio apps) as root? I can't get it started as any other user - it starts
> but the clients can't find it.
>
> Second, is there anyway to get Arts to use Jack? (and then, any way to get
> ESD to use it?)
>
> Call me radical, but I thought it would be really good if all my apps which
> make sounds could...well, make sounds, without interfering with/blocking
> eachother. I like jack because I play with hydrogen and audacity and so I
> appreciate the low latency.
>
> There doesn't seem to be much on the net about jack, perhaps it's too young
> yet?

For non-root applications to connect to jackd you will have to patch your 2.4
kernel (adds some security risk). The file "include/linux/capability.h"
requires a small change.  If you are using a 2.6 kernel you can use the new
Linux Realtime Security module.  This is all explained in the jack faq

http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php -- not very hard to find

RJP