RE: Occasional freezing / need help diagnosing

The box is connected to a cable modem and no other network.  The freezes
have never occurred when using the web browser or email, but with a variety
of other programs, such as synaptic, mplayer, kwrite.  Last night, the
flying toaster screensaver was running when I went to bed, but had frozen
during the night.