Re: Occasional freezing / need help diagnosing

Scott Thompson wrote:

Scott Thompson wrote:
<>Occasionally Debian just locks up. The same box has WinXP and SuSE
9.1 and Debian Sid. Each OS has its own hard drive. I have not experienced

any locking up with the other two OSs. I've looked in the logs in /var/logs but can't find anything that seems significant.
The box is connected to a cable modem and no other network.  The freezes
have never occurred when using the web browser or email, but with a variety
of other programs, such as synaptic, mplayer, kwrite.  Last night, the
flying toaster screensaver was running when I went to bed, but had frozen
during the night.

I'd suggest getting completely out of X and shutting down any extraneous processes, and let it run overnight; if it locks up then, I'd suspect memory or heating issues (even though the other OSes don't exhibit the lockups). If it does not lock up, I'd leave all the processes except X working the next night. The third night I'd start X, but use a different window manager / environment, and don't start any other apps. Eventually you can maybe narrow down the problem.

--
Kent