Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

Apparently, _Michael B Allen_, on 07/09/04 04:50,typed:

Note a good way to setup the shell environment in X so you can run java
and javac on the commandline is to start the session manager through a
login shell by changing:

 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start

to read:

  exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"

People coming from RedHat will definately want to do this. Otherwise
shells don't initialize their environment by sourcing /etc/profile and
thus your exports will not be visible.

True .My gnome-terminal is able to see /etc/profile becuase I have made it to be a login shell. And when I ssh to the machine and open xterm, it doesn't know about /etc/ profile.

I will try what you mentioned, but I am also thinking about trying making a deb file.

thanks,
->HS