Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

Apparently, _Jacob S._, on 07/08/04 14:51,typed:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:36:17 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

In my Testing distribution, I noticed that I have javac already (new install a couple of months back). Earlier I used to download Sun's
j2sdk and install that. Now that I already have javac (probably
provided by Debian), in what way would the new installation of j2skd
be affected by it?

Have you done an "ls -l" on javac? Last I checked, it was just a symlink
to /etc/default/javac or something, which in turn pointed to a
nonexistent filename. After I installed Sun's j2re, I changed the
symlinks to point to Sun's java and javac.

Here is what I have:
/usr/bin/javac -> /etc/alternatives/javac -> /usr/bin/gcj-wrapper-3.3
/usr/bin/javah -> /etc/alternatives/javah -> /usr/bin/gcjh-wrapper-3.3

These are provided by these packages:

||/ Name             Version          Description
ii  gcj              3.3.4-1          The GNU Java compiler
ii  gcj-3.3          3.3.4-2          The GNU compiler for Java(TM)

I am not sure what "pn" means but I have this installed too:
||/ Name                Version           Description
pn  free-java-sdk       <none>            (no description available)

So I guess uninstalling gcj-3.3 would remove the default javac and javah (?)

->HS