Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:37:25 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > /usr/local/ and export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java and
> > PATH=$PATH:${JAVA_HOME}/bin?
>
> This is what I did. I extracted the version of the Java in
> /usr/local/java. Then made links
> /usr/local/j2sdk -> /usr/local/java/java-version-dir
>
> and put
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk/bin
> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk

Exactly. Or rather I use /usr/local/java as the link to
/usr/local/jsdkxxx.

> in /etc/profile

Note a good way to setup the shell environment in X so you can run java
and javac on the commandline is to start the session manager through a
login shell by changing:

 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start

to read:

  exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"

People coming from RedHat will definately want to do this. Otherwise
shells don't initialize their environment by sourcing /etc/profile and
thus your exports will not be visible.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.