Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

Apparently, _Michael B Allen_, on 07/08/04 21:24,typed:
Andreas Janssen said:

You should go to <http://z42.de/debian/>. Get j2se-package, convert your
JRE to a deb, download the matching *debian-deb for your Java version,
and install both the downloaded package and the converted JRE. The
package management will take care of the symlinks in /etc/alternatives
and even install symlinks to make the Java plugin work with Mozilla,
Netscape and Firefox. You should probably deinstall the gjc packages
first.

Bah. You can't be serious. Why would anyone be expected to go through this
procedure just to install Java? Why not just unpack the sun.com archive in
/usr/local/ and export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java and
PATH=$PATH:${JAVA_HOME}/bin?

Mike

This is what I did. I extracted the version of the Java in /usr/local/java. Then made links
/usr/local/j2sdk -> /usr/local/java/java-version-dir

and put
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk/bin
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk

in /etc/profile

So, to install new version I just extract in /usr/local/java and change the symlink /usr/local/j2sdk and all is fine and rosy.

Works pretty nicely.

->HS