Re: Visual C++?????

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:17:47PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq/lang/1.htm.  I do believe it has been fixed in
> recentish versions of VC++, though.

I tested it: it is fixed, along with many of the STL problems.
Microsoft actually purchased their STL implementation for VC5-VC7 from
Dinkumware (http://www.dinkumware.com/), and for most of the >VC6 time
frame it was always possible to purchase a more recent incarnation of
same from Dinkumware; or use Roguewave, or STLport.  Microsoft I think
either replaced STL in VC7.1 with the most recent dinkumware or else
rewrote it from scratch; can't remember which.

The competition between STL providers is about locking performance in
high-end multithreaded apps; the Microsoft-provided STL still sucks
for that.  (As does the Microsoft heap: for SQL Server Microsoft uses an
in-house heap which has very good characteristics, you can use a thing
called Low-Fragementation Heap in Server 2003; and there is the
commercial SmartHeap).  The guy who wrote the super-cool heap SQL Server
uses wants to give it away as an MSDN download; nobody really disagreed
with it, it was just a matter of supporting it and laziness.  He blew my
mind describing it to me: his heap is not "fair" -- you are never
guaranteed to get the lock at all.  It is only "statistically fair" --
which means on average you'll get the lock faster.  There's a thing
called Lock Train Wrecks.