Re: Memory limit testing: whether user really can use 2100MB memory

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:56:46AM -0400, Jameson C. Burt said

> As a user, without administrative privileges, I want to determine if I
> really can consume a certain amount of memory.

Try to consume it, and see if malloc() fails or your kernel locks up.

There are a huge number of factors:

* The fact that 32-bit applications use 32-bit pointers means they can
  never use more than 4GB each.
* The default design of Linux means that each app is limited to 3GB (but
  you can apply a patch to use the full 4GB, at the cost of
  context-switch speed).
* Linux will generally let you allocate as much memory as you want,
  anyway (up to the previous limit), and only *really* allocate memory
  when you use it (ie write to the page).  "strict overcommit" is the
  keyword to google for if you want the kernel to only allocate memory
  it actually has.
* Different kernels can handle the past two items differently, so assume
  it will differ between Linux and AIX.  It also differes between
  different versions of the Linux kernel.

--
Words of the day:                            FBI number key Kennedy USCOI ANDVT