EnableHiMem for Memory == exactly 1GB?

Greg Madden in <[🔎] 200406261122.05053.gomadtroll@gci.net>, suggested
enabling CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y for machines with > 960MB memory; however
the help for this option in 2.6.7 says "if you will never run a machine
with more than 1 Gigabyte of memory."

It seems to suggest that for the interval [0,1024] it should be not set
and (1024,4096] it should be set; i.e. not set at exactly 1GB.  Is this
correct?

It's probably moot since tomorrow I will up my machine to 2GB; VMWare
runs *fantastic* on a HT cpu with 1GB memory assigning 384MB to the VM,
but now I'm trying some heavier duty stuff, and assign 656MB to the VM
makes the system go chugga chugga again.