Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:31:33PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> "Daniel B." <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> said on Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:22:43 -0400:
> > Micha Feigin wrote:

> > > and they do require more cpu, eye candy takes cpu power to draw (either
> > > real cpu or graphic card cpu, either way, battery power).
> >
> > What fraction of CPUs these days can switch to low-power mode when
> > idling and what fraction use the same amount of power regardless of
> > whether they're idling or executing instructions?
>
> For the latter question: none.
>
> A transistor dissipates heat when it is in the process of switching on
> or off - when it is fully on or fully off, there is very little
> current flowing. Which is partly why modern CPUs run so hot - because
> they switch so fast (the other reason is that there are so many more
> transistors -- but of course they are smaller too).

My computer is overclocked with a variable speed cpu fan, an open side
panel, and a great big box fan up against the edge.  I don't have A/C
(you don't really need it where I live except about 1 week/year).

Most of the time I can turn the CPU fan down and leave the box fan off.
But if I'm compiling or playing games, I have to turn the fans way up!