Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:13:42PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-06-16T01:26:28Z, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > I tried my system with fvwm and gnome (sorry, don't have kde installed)
> > with everything else unchanged, memory usage on startup before starting
> > any programs as about 15MB-20MB difference, that a lot when all I have on
> > my laptop is 256MB memory.
>
> Here's the big kicker, though: although startup takes more resources,
> launching addition programs will take less additional memory.  Launching
> KWord from a Konsole window in a KDE session is very lightweight and loads
> quickly, while doing the same from xterm in xfce will take substantially
> longer.  Ditto for Abiword, but with a Gnome session.  Basically, if you're
> going to run KDE or Gnome programs anyway, you're almost better off to log
> into a full-blown "desktop environment".

Then that would depend on what programs you are using. I try to avoid
kde/gnome applications that need anything more then the
toolkit. Launching kword in xfce will take longer since it starts all
the kde servers in the background, but it also fails to close them on
exit. The only "real" gnome app I use is multi-gnome-terminal since I
like the tabs and haven't found anything other the konsole of the same
level which requires more daemons to run. I am in the process of
checking fvwm tabs as a replacement (when I will have some time).

Like I said, most of my work on the laptop is with full screen apps
(14" screen), I don't use the panels, just popup menus for the
programs, and I mostly do heavy mathematical work which kills the
memory, I can only run samples on the 256M machines and need to do the
big stuff on the desktop.

Another issue is that more gui and more memory mean more power which
translate to less battery time on the laptop.