Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

William Ballard <40618.nospam@comcast.net> said on Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:58:38 -0700:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:31:33PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> > A transistor dissipates heat when it is in the process of switching on
> > or off - when it is fully on or fully off, there is very little
> > current flowing. Which is partly why modern CPUs run so hot - because
> > they switch so fast (the other reason is that there are so many more
> > transistors -- but of course they are smaller too).
>
> My computer is overclocked with a variable speed cpu fan, an open side
> panel, and a great big box fan up against the edge.  I don't have A/C
> (you don't really need it where I live except about 1 week/year).
>
> Most of the time I can turn the CPU fan down and leave the box fan off.
> But if I'm compiling or playing games, I have to turn the fans way up!

I even connect the 240/110v switch up to the PSU fan (making sure to
leave the PSU in 240v mode :), and turn it off when I want to sleep. I
just hope that I rememeber to turn it back on before I start up a CPU
intensive job, otherwise cooked transistors make the place smell bad.

That [Tim-Tam] would be the Classic. Not to be confused with the
Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, and Double Chocolate flavour.
(Personally, I prefer Cadbury's Doubles myself. Tim Tams don't taste
enough of chocolate.)  -- Faceless Man on ARK