Re: Window Managers

--- Katipo <katipo@weavers-web.org> wrote:
> Keith O'Connell wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > There was a thread in this list last week where
> people were asked if
> > the preferred KDE or Gnome, and the majority of
> people who posted a
> > reply basicaly said "neither". They all said they
> went with a window
> > manager and no desktop and their machines were the
> better for it.
> >
> > I have used Gnome for quite a while now, but this
> thread made me
> > wonder why I do, and I cannot think of a good
> reason. I have been
> > googling for a few days now looking for an account
> of just how much a
> > performance hit Gnome or KDE are and what the
> respective speed and
> > comparative performances are for the various
> window managers.
> >
> > I thought I would be awash with articles, but I
> cannot find anything
> > that compares the options. Can someone tell me
> where I can find
> > anything on this subject
> >
> > Keith.

well...if you got a bunch of space in your disk and
have no idea for what it is and you got pretty good
harddware constructed your box, you'll be like me.
Got latest gnome, kde, xfce, windowmaker,
enlightement,
etc. It's maybe fool to waste diskspace for this thing
i do. in case, i do it for fun without no further
thought for performance since it never bring me any
trouble at all.
when gnome's suck go to kde, when kde being broken go
to xfce.....that's the cycle of life ;-)
Even if I should choose, i'd rather choose gnome for
sure with no argument at all... :D
anyway, it's good to have a clear comparasion in
'plus' and 'minus' of those desktop environment since
users can choose which one is suitable for their need.

happy compare,

welly