Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:04:09PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:34:41AM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> >
> > And I believe gnome-terminal gives you only partial, if any integration
> > with gnome as it uses its own settings. Its only advantage is that it
> > looks like gnome.
> >
> > > I recommend xterm or rxvt. You can change the font with the -font
> > > option. There are plenty of other useful options such as storing x
> > > number of lines for scrolling, and disabling scrollbars and using the
> > > keyboard/mouse wheel.
>
> I found gnome-terminal good-looking and handling unicode and unusual
> ASCII "right out of the box," and didn't want to fuss with learning

You might want to have a look at rxvt-unicode-lite or rxvt-unicode, the
only problem (if you don't want tabs) is that its harder to setup,
requiring .Xresources for persistent behavior, for example my settings:

Rxvt*background: black
Rxvt*foreground: white
Rxvt*font: -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-16-*-75-*-*-80-iso10646-1
Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
Rxvt*saveLines: 500
Rxvt*cursorColor2: blue

> xterm, since gnome-termnal is "good enough."  I realized Konsole and
> gnome-terminal are super-heavy-weight apps for terminals.
>
> I also like the deep integration with the Gnome clipboard, which
> sometimes produces different results than middle mouse button.

That you won't get with something other then gnome ;-) Although I tend
to find that middle mouse button and Shift-Insert tend to be
inconsistent in some applications (sometimes in emacs especially).

> Sometimes I'll use tabs for multiple sessions, although I usually find 4
> is enough.  Each of the 4 windows serves a purpose: one is 80x25, one is
> 80x40, one is 95x25, one is 95x40.  If I want linewraps correct I'll use
> one of the 80 width ones,  If I need to read a lot of text I'll use one
> of the 40 height ones.
>
> A lot of times I'll Tab doc a Kate window in the large square for
> editing code, maybe a Firefox window in another square for reading
> documentation, and use one square for building and another for
> debugging.  I like the 4 square approach, and I find that more than 2
> desktops make me stop and think when I mouse wheel between them.
>
> That's what I like so much about Linux/GTK/Debian/Firefox: it lets me
> work the way *I* want, even if it suits no one else.  Makes *me* happy.

And thats the right way to go ;-) we are all different, why should we
use the same settings?