Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

William Ballard wrote:
Fluxbox
Desktop 1 w/ 4 gnome terminals & Gbuffy.
Desktop 2 w/ Firefox full screen.

Since you've given us all a look at your workspace, I'll make a few friendly recommendations. Maybe others have ideas as well.

If you don't use anything like Gaim or GIMP, you might consider switching to ratpoison or ionII. The space between windows is really a waste.

Of if you do, or just prefer something more conventional, if fluxbox allows you to you might disable the bottom toolbar and window tabs. Together these waste a considerable amount of valuable screen real estate. Also, I would disable window decorations altogether for the maximized firefox window.

Or if fluxbox doesn't allow you to, you might consider switching to openbox (3.2 is in unstable). I think you'll find it has all of the features of fluxbox, without the ugly toolbar artifact from blackbox, and without the window tabs. It has changed a lot since 2.x.

I frequently like to have several of my virtual desktops contain nothing but a maximized, undecorated xterm (with large font, for my straining eyes).

And that brings up a second point. Why gnome-terminal? It's really a terrible waste of memory and processor resources, and from what I can see does nothing to justify its existence beyond integration with the full GNOME environment. Check top while you have output scrolling in one of the gnome-terminals. I think you'll be surprised.

I recommend xterm or rxvt. You can change the font with the -font option. There are plenty of other useful options such as storing x number of lines for scrolling, and disabling scrollbars and using the keyboard/mouse wheel.

dircha