Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 02:53:00PM +1000, Matthew Joyce wrote:

> > > For me kde/gnome have their place for M$ refugees but I don't like
> > > them myself.
> >
> > Be nice, now.  I haven't touched a Windows system in months,
> > and haven't really used one regularly since the '90s.  I'm
> > hardly what you'd call a "M$ refugee" but I love KDE
> > --
> > Kirk Strauser
> > In Googlis non est, ergo non est.
> >

> Please, this is not intended as a catalyst for outrage, but I have tried
> KDE (debian), Gnome (redhat), MacOSX and XP, out of the four, I would
> choose XP, I think it is better than the other as a gui, and just a more
> mature and robust product.
>
> Between KDE and Gnome, I prefered Gnome, KDE seems like it's for people
> who want to tweak endless settings.

Don't need no graphical file manager.
Don't need no icons to start apps.
Don't need no system tray.
Don't need no buncha crap.
Don't want viruses or cookies or popups.
Have P4 3.2 + 9800XT, 1 gig memory

===>

Fluxbox
Desktop 1 w/ 4 gnome terminals & Gbuffy.
Desktop 2 w/ Firefox full screen.

Sometimes keep Pan, WinVNC, and Gaim running minimized for long time.
Just play all multimedia with mplayer from command line.
Everything else (OpenOffice, Gimp) is transitory.

Sometimes I'll set up a little dev environment for a while.

Who needs anything else?