Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:34:41AM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:

> And I believe gnome-terminal gives you only partial, if any integration
> with gnome as it uses its own settings. Its only advantage is that it
> looks like gnome.
>
> > I recommend xterm or rxvt. You can change the font with the -font
> > option. There are plenty of other useful options such as storing x
> > number of lines for scrolling, and disabling scrollbars and using the
> > keyboard/mouse wheel.

I found gnome-terminal good-looking and handling unicode and unusual
ASCII "right out of the box," and didn't want to fuss with learning
xterm, since gnome-termnal is "good enough."  I realized Konsole and
gnome-terminal are super-heavy-weight apps for terminals.

I also like the deep integration with the Gnome clipboard, which
sometimes produces different results than middle mouse button.

Sometimes I'll use tabs for multiple sessions, although I usually find 4
is enough.  Each of the 4 windows serves a purpose: one is 80x25, one is
80x40, one is 95x25, one is 95x40.  If I want linewraps correct I'll use
one of the 80 width ones,  If I need to read a lot of text I'll use one
of the 40 height ones.

A lot of times I'll Tab doc a Kate window in the large square for
editing code, maybe a Firefox window in another square for reading
documentation, and use one square for building and another for
debugging.  I like the 4 square approach, and I find that more than 2
desktops make me stop and think when I mouse wheel between them.

That's what I like so much about Linux/GTK/Debian/Firefox: it lets me
work the way *I* want, even if it suits no one else.  Makes *me* happy.