Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:18:25AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-06-16T05:35:57Z, William Ballard <40521.nospam@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > Have P4 3.2 + 9800XT, 1 gig memory
> >
> > ===>
> >
> > Fluxbox
> > Desktop 1 w/ 4 gnome terminals & Gbuffy.
> > Desktop 2 w/ Firefox full screen.
>
> I have to ask, what are you doing in those 4 terminal where a gig of memory
> doesn't give you enough headroom to run some eye candy?

I don't run a wallpaper, or even a colored background.  I use desktop
wheeling (the mouse wheel) to switch.  Desktop wheeling with a colored
background or wallpaper involves a visible repaint of the background or
bitmap.  It's annoying.

You can see a visible flash.  Not doing eyecandy is probably more an
artifact of poor design of X11 than limitations of the device.

Here are pictures:
http://home.comcast.net/~40521.nospam/snapshot1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~40521.nospam/snapshot2.jpg

Believe me, I have oodles of eyecandy, when I want it.  But eyecandy is
(1) garish and (2) causes more visible flashes and repaints.

Speed is everything.