Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:16:09PM -0500, dircha wrote:

> Since you've given us all a look at your workspace, I'll make a few
> friendly recommendations. Maybe others have ideas as well.
>
> If you don't use anything like Gaim or GIMP, you might consider
> switching to ratpoison or ionII. The space between windows is really a
> waste.
>
> Of if you do, or just prefer something more conventional, if fluxbox
> allows you to you might disable the bottom toolbar and window tabs.
> Together these waste a considerable amount of valuable screen real
> estate. Also, I would disable window decorations altogether for the
> maximized firefox window.
>
> Or if fluxbox doesn't allow you to, you might consider switching to
> openbox (3.2 is in unstable). I think you'll find it has all of the
> features of fluxbox, without the ugly toolbar artifact from blackbox,
> and without the window tabs. It has changed a lot since 2.x.
>
> I frequently like to have several of my virtual desktops contain nothing
> but  a maximized, undecorated xterm (with large font, for my straining
> eyes).
>
> And that brings up a second point. Why gnome-terminal? It's really a
> terrible waste of memory and processor resources, and from what I can
> see does nothing to justify its existence beyond integration with the
> full GNOME environment. Check top while you have output scrolling in one
> of the gnome-terminals. I think you'll be surprised.

I don't know if he is using it, but the advantage of gnome terminal
(although it is much better in multi-gnome terminal) is that you have
tab support which gives you several terminals grouped together,
although if you don't use it xterm/rxvt are much lighter.

And I believe gnome-terminal gives you only partial, if any integration
with gnome as it uses its own settings. Its only advantage is that it
looks like gnome.