Re: getting X standard background with metacity

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:01:01AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get the standard black/gray X backround when
> using:
>
>  - unstable/ sid
>  - metacity
>  - gnome
>  - NOT nautilus (I don't run this!)!

The gray fence like background is actually just a no background
setting. I am not sure if its possible the get it with metacity, check
the gnome settings panel, it has settings for metacity, and check if
you can just disable the background completely.

> I've run "xsetroot", but it doesn't make sense to put it in .bashrc - it
> will be re-run for every shell (and I have a lot in my session).

xsetroot is meant to be run from your session. I am assuming you are
using gnome-session, there should be a setting to add a custom program,
but I think you can set the background directly from gnome (or metacity)

> The other problem with xsetroot is that (the last time, though not this
> morning surprisingly) it changed not only the background but the cursor
> too - and I happen to like the nice GNOME cursors.
>

>From the cursors it seems that gnome changes appearances, so its
probably setting also the background somewhere, check the panel.

I am guessing that you can't get the default background with your
settings, the closest you can get is setting a gray background, or do a
screen capture with some other setting with no background, cut out a
small square and set a tiled background.