Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

At 2004-06-16T01:26:28Z, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> I tried my system with fvwm and gnome (sorry, don't have kde installed)
> with everything else unchanged, memory usage on startup before starting
> any programs as about 15MB-20MB difference, that a lot when all I have on
> my laptop is 256MB memory.

Here's the big kicker, though: although startup takes more resources,
launching addition programs will take less additional memory.  Launching
KWord from a Konsole window in a KDE session is very lightweight and loads
quickly, while doing the same from xterm in xfce will take substantially
longer.  Ditto for Abiword, but with a Gnome session.  Basically, if you're
going to run KDE or Gnome programs anyway, you're almost better off to log
into a full-blown "desktop environment".

> For me kde/gnome have their place for M$ refugees but I don't like them
> myself.

Be nice, now.  I haven't touched a Windows system in months, and haven't
really used one regularly since the '90s.  I'm hardly what you'd call a "M$
refugee" but I love KDE
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.