Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

Steven Yap wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:04, Paul Scott wrote:
Steven Yap wrote:
Errm, doesn't the "Show windows from all workspaces" option for the
window list applet work for you?

I don't have Gnome installed at the moment. Is the window list displayed in the taskbar? If it's something I have to use the mouse to get then it's less efficient than just looking at the taskbar and using the keyboard to switch desktops and windows. To be fair I sometimes have multiple copies of Firebird and XTerm open and use the mouse to select the one I want.

The window list is a gnome-panel applet. Add it to a Gnome panel and
you're done. It essentially is the taskbar.
Meaning it's always visible and doesn't take up any more screen space?

I'm not aware of any
keyboard shortcuts that are specific to it, so as you said, it would be
less efficient for you.
The KDE keystroke (Alt-Tab) for switching windows is the same as you mention for metacity. Switching desktops is Ctrl-Fn which is only slightly more efficient than metacity.

It has the option of listing all your windows across all workspaces or
to only list windows in your current workspace.  If the "all workspaces"
option is chosen, clicking on a window listing whose window resides in a
workspace different from the current workspace switches you to that
workspace and bring the selected window to the top.
If it's always visible it would be the same as KDE.

In my case with metacity as the window manager, Alt-Tab allows me to
cycle/select windows within the current workspace, while Alt-Ctrl-Left
and Alt-Ctrl-Right switch workspaces.
Even if you're sure that Ctrl-Fn doesn't switch desktops with metacity we're pretty close here.

Thanks,

Paul